Live Chat

Vingsabroad offers End to End Services for Study Abroad, making you 100% tension free about all procedure with pre and post departure Services, Call us now for free Guidance at 09052500900, 09347833701
  Study in Australia
>> Introduction
>> About Australia
>> Education System in Australia
>> Why Australia
>> Admission procedure
>> Visa Procedure
>> Financial Matters
>> Student life in Australia
>> Work Prospects in Australia
>> Our Alumni
>> FAQs on Australia

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player


Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

  Study in Australia:


  Visa Procedure  

Visas are granted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC will only grant you a student visa if your course is registered, or is part of a registered course, on a full time basis. A registered course is one offered by an Australian education provider registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

Every student seeking for high quality of education and training system in Australia for more than 3 months has to apply for the student visa. Only courses under three months’ duration can be undertaken on a visitor visa or working holiday visa. If you intend to study for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa. Following are the information that is important to obtain Australian visa.

Obtaining your
Australia Visa

International students must have a valid student visa for the duration of their studies in Australia. You should check with the Australian Embassy in your country to see if you are eligible to apply for a student visa before obtaining official confirmation of your enrolment and paying tuition fees. You will only be issued with a student visa for study in Australia if you seek to undertake a full-time course that is accredited and registered by the Australian Government. The Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) also has offices in many countries, check their website for locations

Where can I get the Visa application forms?

Visa application forms in English, Portuguese or Spanish can be downloaded from the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) website. For application forms in host-country languages contact your nearest Australian Embassy or DIM office. Most students will need to fill in the Application for a Student (Temporary) Visa Form 157A. US Study Abroad, Norwegian and Swedish students over 18 years of age can apply for an electronic student using Form 157E on the DIMA website.

Where can I get help with filling out a Visa application?

The visa application forms are designed so that you can complete them with minimal, if any, help. The DIMA website has visa information forms for download and provides more information on student visa requirements. However, if you wish to seek help in obtaining a visa you are advised to use a registered migration agent. Contact the nearest Australian Embassy or DIMA Office for a list is available of registered migration agents. 

You will be asked to have a medical examination as part of the visa process. You will be given a list of approved doctors and special forms for the doctor to complete.

Where do I submit the Visa Application?

Unless instructed otherwise by the institution or agent you have been dealing with, you should send your visa application form (together with the correct visa charge and all necessary documents) to the nearest Australian Embassy or DIMA Office.

Obtaining Medical Insurance

All students must show evidence that they have health insurance cover before a visa can be issued. Australia has a very cost competitive medical insurance system. In many cases you can pay the compulsory medical insurance(Overseas Student Health Cover, or OSHC for short) premium to the education institution which will pay the health insurer on your behalf. If you are a student sponsored by AusAID you will not need to pay the OSHC yourself but you will need to provide proof that AusAID supports your application.

Norwegian students are exempt from this requirement. Swedish students who are studying under CSN International (the Swedish National Board of Student Aid) who have obtained insurance through CSN are also exempt from the OSHC requirement.

Receiving your Visa

You can only be granted a student visa if you intend to study a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis. If your application is successful you will be issued with a Multiple Entry Visa allowing you to travel backwards and forwards to Australia within the period for which the visa has been granted. That period will depend on the course for which you have been accepted. Your visa can be cancelled if you discontinue your studies or fail to meet the conditions of your visa.

What if my student Visa application is not successful?

If your application is not successful you will be told the reasons in writing. The decision not to grant you a student visa cannot be reviewed if you applied from outside Australia. Before re-applying for a student visa, you should carefully consider what evidence you can provide to satisfy the decision maker that you meet all the requirements for a student visa. 

If you apply in Australia and are refused a student visa then you may apply for a review of the decision. You will be notified of your review rights in writing and the time limits for lodging such an appeal.

New procedure for Student Visa

Under the new procedure for Australian student visa, you have to lodge your application electronically through approved Education agents. Read all the information from the form-1025i (Making Processing Visa Applications). Every applicant has to fulfill the criteria of issuing student visa such as, financial ability, proficiency of English language intention to comply visa conditions. Each application will be assessed against one of the 5 Assessment Levels for each visa sub-class.

English Language Requirements

Students from non-English speaking countries have to take an IELTS/TOEFL test to prove their English language abilities. Students visas issued from 26 April 2008 are also allowed to work without any separate permission. This is applicable for both the students and their family members traveling along with them. This new arrangement will save the student visa holders time and money.

eCoE - Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment

An eCoE is the certificate issued by the DIAC for the students to confirm the acceptance of their admission in the university. This certificate is required for the processing of the visas application or for the extension. Before the issuance of eCoE students have to undergo a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) based on the nationality and principal course of study. To get eligible for student visa, students have to enroll in an Australian university/institution and receive an eCoE. The eCoE form includes the crucial information such as the course starting date, ending date and other codes used by the DIAC that students have to be aware of. Typically eCoE will be issued after the university receives the student’s tuition fee. A copy of your eCoE must be submitted to your local DIAC office before a student visa can be issued.

Conditions for Student Visa

Students going to Australia for education will be encircled by the laws of Commonwealth of Australia. Students have to strictly adhere to the set of rules determined by the host university. Australian government has provided a range of essential conditions that has to be abided by every student applying for Australian student visa. The following are some of them:

  • Students have to pursue a consistent study program that is recognized by the Australian government.
  • Students have to fulfill all the requirements of the study program.
  • Students have to maintain a valid enrolment - attendance requirements may apply
  • Students holding student visa can work without getting any additional permission.
  • Students are not allowed to work for more than 20 hours a week during their semester, except any specific permission.
  • Every student has to sustain their OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) all the time in Australia.
  • Students under the age of 18 years have to arrange for their accommodation, support and general welfare provisions certified by the Australian government – DIAC. In case of changing the residence or other arrangements they have to get the written approval from the government.
  • Students are not allowed to stay in Australia beyond the visa expiry date, unless it is an extremely critical situation.

How To Apply For The Australian Student Visa

After receiving the eCoE from the educational provider, you can apply for the student visa. To prioritize your application, DIAC encourages students to lodge their visa application as soon as they receive eCOE. Students have to make sure that they have met the English language requirements before lodging the visa application. Student visa application will be lodged in 3 different ways:

1) E-Lodgment through Online:

Visit the official Australian visa website accordingly. The visa fee can be paid either by credit card or by Bpay method (It takes 7 days to process the payment). Through Online application you can automatically get the bridging visa, which enable you to stay in Australia and study while your application is being processed.

Within 7 working days after lodging your application online, you will be receiving a decision of approving your application. If there is any incomplete documentation, you will be first receiving an e-mail or a letter advising to forward the further documentation you may be required to lodge the application.

2) Lodging Application at Office

Students have to fill up the Form-157A, get ready with all the required documents and visit the nearer VFS office. You can download the Form-157A from the website: Fill the application form and submit it to the officer enclosing all the required documents including the eCoE, academic results, Medical Test results and other items listed in the checklist.

3) Applying By Mail

Students can also apply for the Australian visa even through the mail. This is preeminent for the people who cannot make their application through online or visit directly to the office. This is method application will be employed in a very rare situation. Students have to send their application along with the completed Form-157A including the fee amount and eCoE to the following Address,
DIAC Client Services
Melbourne, 3001

Checklist of Required Documents

  • Visa Application Charge 450.00 AUD payable through Credit Card
  • Additional Information Form 1221
  • Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) issued by your education provider for the course(s) you are undertaking stating the course, total tuition fees, duration and the course start date along with OSHC
  • Letter of Offer issued by your education provider for the course(s) you are undertaking stating the course, total tuition fees, duration and the course start date.
  • Original Passport (min 6 months validity)
  • Copy of the passport (Notarized)
  • Four recent passport sized photographs (Light colored back ground)
  • Statement of purpose (Original - Signed by the student)
  • Academic Certificates (ORIGINALS)
  • Copies Academic Certificates (Notarized)
  • Work Experience Certificate (on the original letter heads)
  • Copies of the Work Experience Certificates (Notarized)
  • IELTS Score Card (ORIGINAL)
  • Copy of the IELTS Score Card (Notarized)
  • Evidence of Liquid Funds
  • Evidence of Income
  • Affidavit of Support by the Sponsors
  • Student Affidavit, if the student is self sponsoring for his studies in Australia
  • Evidence of Relationship
  • Documents of dependents included in the application- Birth Certificate, Marriage certificate and evidence of marriage (Photos etc.)
  • If any of your dependents are 5-17 years of age (inclusive in the application), documentation confirming their enrolment in an Australian school and Under 18 Consent Form
  • If the applicant is under 18 years of age you will have to show evidence that appropriate arrangements have been done for your welfare before you lodge your application.

Visa documentation – requirements

When lodging your application please place documents in the following order (from top down): A. Financial documents (at top) – including financial matrix* evidence of funds and evidence of source of income

  • Official declaration from the applicant’s parents / sponsor stating the nature of their relationship to them. They should confirm they will support the applicant financially during their studies in Australia. The applicant must also include full contact details of their parents / sponsor (including residential address and postal address, if different, and telephone numbers)
  • Evidence of sponsor’s occupation and annual income – letter from the sponsor’s employer confirming employment, and including full contact details (address and telephone numbers), and sponsor’s personal bank statements and tax returns for the last 3 years;
  • Loan disbursement letter;
  • Chartered Accountant Statements of the financial sponsor and parent;
  • In the case of company sponsorship, balance sheet and bond signed with the company;
  • Evidence of income sourced from agriculture such as evidence of ownership and valuation of land, income statement from the regional authority (eg Patwari or Mandel office) and receipt of sales, and J forms;
  • Evidence of rental income such as evidence of ownership of property and lease deeds;
  • Evidence of retirement income such as letter from the company at the time of retirement stating amount of pension, and recent bank statement showing credit of pension to account.
As you must have noticed, the visa process and documentation is quite cumbersome. At Vingsabroad, we make things easy for you with our professional guidance and services. Please contact any of our offices for further assistance with your visa process.

Still Have Questions?, Get all your Questions Answered by our Team of Experts for Free, CLICK HERE to Ask Now
Thinking to Study Abroad & Confused - Call 9052500900